May 16, 2010

Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte

For the category Sinners not Saints in the Mystery Challenge, I needed to chose a Mystery that does not feature a monk, or other religious figure. I chose The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte.

The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte is a very good book. It is about a man whose job is to search out rare books and obtain them by any means necessary. He is hired by different book collectors and dealers around Europe. In the beginning of the book he is asked to authenticate what appears to be a hand written chapter from the Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas. In addition he is asked to find out if  book which is suppose to be one of a kind is in fact authentic, since two other copies have been found and claimed to also be authentic. As he travels around Spain, Portugal and France comparing books and speaking with experts, he is being followed by individuals who would easily fit into Dumas's novel. As the book continues on the connections between the manuscript and the rare book become clearer.

The book is filled with adventure, mystery and intrigue. A great book. I really enjoyed the details about books and could relate with those obsessed. I would recommend it for any obsessed reader, lol.

Unfortunately, I kinda ruined my copy by reading it on a windy beach. Valli warned me to bring unpostables, but I really don't have any unpostables on my challenge lists, well that is until now, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment