February 6, 2010

Ghostwalk by Rebecca Stott

For the letter R in my ABC HF challenge, I chose Ghostwalk by Rebecca Stott.

Ghostwalk is about a woman named Lydia who’s ex lover, Cameron asks her to finish his mother's book. His mom, Elizabeth was an Isaac Newton scholar writing a controversial biography about Newton and the mysterious deaths in Cambridge surrounding his practice of Alchemy. Lydia is not only pulled back into a Cambridge she left behind, but also to Cameron's bed. The entire book is written as if a letter to him. Lydia talks of how she unraveled his mother’s death and connected the murders back in the 1600's and the murders currently going on. It is apparent very early on in the book that Cameron is dead. Which the more of his character that is revealed, the more I am glad the bastard is. lol.
The theme of the book is obsession and done very well. It was well written. Lydia's obsession with Cameron, Cameron's obsession with control, Elizabeth's obsession with alchemy and murder, and finally Mr. F's obsession with revenge. The story draws you in and doesn’t let you go. My only complaint about the book is the choppiness. The author will be on one topic and the next paragraph is somewhere else. I had to flip back and forth several times to make sure I wasn’t missing something. Though, I read it believing it was Historical Fiction, I feel that while it had HF elements, it was more of a drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment